Welcome to the Administrator's Corner. Shawn Gonyaw, Principal of Marion Cross School, and Greg Bagnato, Student Services Coordinator will post their weekly messages here. The intent is to keep you updated on important topics that are happening at school.
These posts can also be found in the weekly Who's Wise Words newsletter, which we highly encourage you to read. We hope you find all this information helpful, informative and fun. We encourage you to reach out to us with questions and comments.
Shawn and Greg
Most Recent Post:
From the Principal
Wow, what a beautiful week we have had, which will be followed by a fantastic weekend. There are many times when I remind myself how very lucky I am to live in this amazing part of the world. The PTO sponsored Bike to School day was nothing less than perfect. Weather has allowed for many exciting field trips. Classes have been able to enjoy being outside. I believe that the sunny days even allowed SBAC testing for the students in grades 3-6 to be more enjoyable!
Next Wednesday is our much delayed and anticipated Open House. In a typical year, this event would have happened in September. We are all fully aware that this has been anything but a typical year! Here are a few details that will make the event a success.
1. The event is being held from 5pm until 6:30pm on Wednesday, May 25th.
2. Families who have a last name starting with the letters A-M should plan to attend from 5pm-5:45pm. Families who have a last name starting with the letters N-Z should plan to attend from 5:45pm-6:30pm. This is to allow for fewer people in the building at one time.
3. Masks are welcome and encouraged for this event. There continue to be active covid cases in the area and it never hurts to be cautious.
4. Please plan to have your student take you on a tour to see the special area teachers - art, music, french, physical education, and library/media. Specials teachers will be in their classrooms just waiting for visitors!
5. Please keep your child(ren) with you at all times. This is a family event and we request that families stick together.
6. The purpose of the open house is to allow families to see the inside of our school, allow for students to share their school and classroom, and just enjoy the time together. It is so tempting to ask questions about the progress that your child is making. However, those types of conversations would be better had in a private conference.
7. Finally, please enjoy your stay. Check out the bulletin boards, visit classrooms, and let your child(ren) share their favorite parts of MCS with you!
Enjoy the sunshine,
Message From Student Services
Things are ramping up and getting busier and busier. This past week we hosted our Kindergarten Information Night for families enrolling kindergarten students for the 2022-23 school year. If you missed it, here is a pdf of the presentation. Next Tuesday we will host a Zoom presentation for 2022-23 PreK families.
Is your family planning to move out of Norwich over the summer?
It would be extremely helpful in our efforts to create balanced class lists if families who are moving could notify the school. We will then be able to get your child’s education records ready to be sent to the new school and also better plan our class groupings for the coming school year. Please feel free to email email@example.com if you know your child will not be returning next school year.
Have a Great Weekend,